Monday, October 1, 2007

HTMPA Board Meeting Minutes September 12, 2007

Executive Board Reports

Eve Sepulveda, our new PA President, opened the meeting with a welcome and announcements.

The Back to School Picnic was a big success, with 157 families opting to make their reservations and pay, online. (This PA “social event” is not a scheduled fundraiser.) Most families really enjoyed the new location at the recently opened Liberty Station Park.

Java with Janie (our monthly opportunity to meet, as parents, with Director Janie Griswold) was held on Friday, September 7. It was very well attended. Notes from that meeting may also be found on our PA website. We are looking for someone who would be willing to take notes regularly at the monthly Java with Janie to post on the website for those who could not attend. Nancy Allen will send out an email blast requesting someone to volunteer for this position.

Annual Appeal: This year’s goal is $35,000, with up to 50% (or 163) of our HTM families participating. Thus far, 7 families have contributed $595. Campaign letters will be mailed in early October. Our village-wide phone-a-thon will be moved to early November. If you have students at multiple schools, your donation will be divided automatically between them. We receive some outside funding based on the percentage of families participating, not on the amount, so we need to encourage all our families to contribute, even if it is only $10.

All HTM families are encouraged to donate ONLINE with the “quick link” on our PA website, and to set up a monthly contribution, which is more affordable and can therefore bring in more money for our schools.

Catwalk funds are being considered this year for supporting “operations”, which includes more than just basic overhead, but also equipment such as laptops. This is the first year that the annual appeal might be needed to meet the village budget requirements. This is due to the fact that we are losing start-up funding that was granted by outside foundations to help us open new schools.

CATWALK 2007: The kick-off meeting for this year’s event will be held on Thursday, October 11, at HTHI. The meeting will start at 0845, and all volunteers are invited to attend.

Catwalk 2007 will be held on May 17!

Patty Bruffey and Carrie Flowers were introduced as our new room/team parent coordinators. Thank you both so very much!

8th Grade Washington, D.C. trip: An informational meeting for parents will be held Thursday evening, September 20. Director Griswold and the planning team will present the planned itinerary. The trip is scheduled for the first 5 days of spring break. HTM has chosen not to employ a tour company this year; instead teachers are planning the trip based on related curriculum. All interested parents are encouraged to attend. Ms Griswold will be sending an email blast within the next few days.

June Meeting Minutes: Margaret Blair presented the minutes for approval. Motion to approve, Darcy Ripley; seconded by Maria Shepard. The motion was carried. Minutes are approved.

Carrie Flowers has volunteered to replace Margaret Blair as secretary when Margaret leaves the PA Board in November. The PA board will vote on her assuming the secretary position at the October meeting, since this is an executive board position.

Treasurer’s Report: Nancy Allen presented the proposed budget, which subsequently underwent much discussion.

1) Grade Level Grants (formerly “teacher’s grants”) are slated as $1000 per grade level. All grade level teachers will need to agree on the grant proposals for these grants.
2) Discussion followed about room parents being made aware of the various grants and encouraging the teachers to take advantage of them.
3) Changes to the budget would include $3000 total for project grants, and $3000 total for grade-level grants (at $1000 per grade.)
4) Marion Brooks reported that part of Mr. Shaddox’ 8th grade syllabus includes teaching students to write grant proposals. It has been suggested that the students, as part of their project, present an authentic grant proposal to the PA board for approval. Mr. Shaddox can discuss the details with the board.
5) It was recommended to remove item lines in the budget that are no longer part of the budget, such as entertainment books, and Sally Foster, to simplify the budget sheet.
6) Eve Sepulveda will talk with Mrs. Griswold about how she prefers any money for X-blocks would be offered to the teachers, since they probably will need funding. Eve will ask whether Janie prefers that we provide a set amount to each X-block, like we did last year, or if the teachers should be offered the opportunity to request funds through a project grant, or if they would apply for an X-block grant with a lower limit set specifically for X-block funding. In any case, this money would still be allocated from the project grant funds but could be listed as a sub-item under project grants on the budget sheet simply for clarification.

Approval of the 2007-2008 Budget will be postponed until the October meeting, or until the proposed changes can be further discussed and implemented. The treasurer’s report is scheduled for monthly posting, on our PA website, once the initial budget is approved.

Committee Chair Reports

Communications: Nancy Allen

Nancy continues to chair this position, in addition to her job as treasurer, until a replacement is found. The candidate for this position must have the availability to post emails expeditiously. Any interested parent should contact Eve Sepulveda, president.

Richard Gholson has agreed to continue the management of our PA website. This includes, for the most part, posting of meeting minutes and notes from “Java with Janie”. The calendar will need to be maintained and updated as well.

Gifts and Grants: Christine Rhoads

Christine Rhoads volunteered to oversee gifts and grants until we can find another parent who wishes to take the position.

Two grant proposals have been received. The first, from Eric Talner, is for the network version of the Mavis Beacon typing program. This would be a sustainable grant for use by all 6th grade students and potentially for all grades. The cost is $700 and has been approved by Mrs. Griswold, as well as the IT department. This program can be used continuously for years to come. If approved, other teacher teams will be encouraged to use this program. Both 6th grade teaching teams agreed that this proposal could be funded with a grade level grant, so now the 6th grade will have $300 left as a grade level grant. Marion Brooks made a motion to fund the full amount for the program, $700. Seconded by Darcy Ripley, the motion was carried.

The second grant proposal was submitted by Andrea Barrett. This beautifully written and detailed grant proposal is an excellent model of what the PA is looking for; both in content and detail. The one time art supplies grant expenditure of $500 is proposed to buy an overhead projector, as well as picture frames and easels to display student art. All items proposed are sustainable purchases, and can be used for years to come, by all grade levels. It was motioned for approval by Maria Shepard, seconded by Christine Rhoads, and carried.

School Support: Darcy Ripley

Darcy has volunteered to coordinate all village schedules for after-school food sales. The board thanks Darcy for accepting this position!

Marion Brooks will further review the parent volunteer forms, which have been completed and returned, to find a possible 6th grade parent to coordinate our PA volunteer efforts. Marion reports that many parents have already volunteered for Teacher Appreciation Week, as well as testing week snacks. Marion will forward those names to Darcy Ripley and Maria Shepard, for follow up. Marion has send acknowledgement emails to all parents who have volunteered. Marion suggests that all chairpersons individually contact their parent volunteers. Marion will be emailing a volunteer spreadsheet to all board members soon; which will maximize utilization of our volunteers.

Fundraising: Eve Sepulveda and Christine Rhoads

Christine Rhoads reports that our PA needs a new “LogoWear Coordinator” who will work with Susan Arenson, making sure Susan gets any orders left at HTM and distributing the items to students once they come in. Marion Brooks will review the completed volunteer forms again for possible candidates. The PA still has a full box of LogoWear, yet to be sold.

Our new village-wide Zip Code Socials coordinator is Missy McCann. Thanks, Missy!

Hospitality: Maria Shepard

Maria has spoken to Mrs. Griswold regarding possible PA support for “staff days”; as well as support for Lisa Ruiz, our front desk Executive Assistant.

Teacher Appreciation Week is tentatively re-scheduled for May 19-23; with the 21st being a half-day, with a catered lunch. For all catering needs, the village will exclusively use the “preferred caterer’s list”; provided by the development office.

A holiday luncheon for HTM staff is scheduled for December 19 a half-day.
Julie Lee will continue to host and coordinate our monthly “Java with Janie” coffee and treats. Thanks so much, Julie!

Maria will coordinate volunteers to supply treats for the Catwalk Kick-Off meeting, on Thursday, October 11.

Maria has a list of dates for all events needing hospitality throughout the year and she will enlist a few volunteers to coordinate hospitality for each event. She will contact people who were interested in helping with hospitality from the volunteer list being constructed by Marion Brooks.

Eve Sepulveda thanked everyone for their support, and adjourned the meeting at 11:10 a.m.

Respectfully submitted,

Margaret Cook Blair, secretary